Tuesday 28 May 2013

Cheat's Carbonara - No Cream, Low Fat


I created this recipe on a day when dinner didn't work out and I had to make something from the odds and ends I had. I found some bacon in the freezer and spaghetti in the cupboard, and we always have eggs so I thought "I'll make carbonara!" then remembered you need cream, which I never have unless we have guests :( I was a little bit stuck for ideas so I decided to just 'fake' a carbonara, and this is how.

Serves 2

You need:
1 tbsp butter
2 tbsp plain flour
2 cups skim milk
1 cup cheese (this is cheat's carbonara so use what you have, Parmesan is best though)
1/2 cup chopped bacon pieces/diced bacon
250g spaghetti (or whatever pasta you have)

  • Put a saucepan of water on to boil with a pinch of salt
  • Once your water is boiling add your pasta
  • Heat your butter in a small saucepan over a medium heat.
  • When the butter is completely melted, add your flour and stir until a paste forms.
  • Now slowly add your milk, a bit at a time, whisking well before adding the next part.
  • Once you have added all your milk, stir in your cup of cheese. The sauce should now be nice and thick (add more milk if it is too thick).
  • In a small frying pan, fry up your bacon pieces until they are crispy and stir into the cheese sauce.
  • When your pasta is soft, drain it and return it to the pan. Pour over the cheese and bacon sauce and serve!

Serve with freshly ground black pepper and grated cheese.

What's your dinner back up plan?





No comments:

Post a Comment